Skip to main content

Keezer Part 2

My keezer project is coming along nicely. I purchased the collar in order to raise the height of the lid on my chest freezer. By doing this I will increase the height of the chest freezer and give myself the height I need for an extra keg as well as a place to mount the taps. There are tons of ways to go about doing this, but living in an apartment gives limited power tool options.

I really only have a drill, so making this thing simple is very important. I made a trip to my local Lowe’s and picked up the required hardware. My chest freezer is a 5.0 cubic foot GE model. It measures 29”x22” and those were the dimensions that¬† I decided to make my collar as well. After some searching online I found that a typical Cornelius keg is 26” tall but you want to leave yourself some room for the connections and hoses. This means that I needed to give my collar a height of ~10” in order to have the room necessary for an additional keg.

One quick sidenote. The GE chest freezer will fit two kegs with no modifications, but the right side of the freezer has a “bump” in it for the compressor. This bump makes it necessary to add a collar to fit a third keg. You can see the bump in the right side of this image.

While at Lowe’s I found a long construction grade piece of lumber that measured 144”x12”x3/4”. This is perfect for what I needed and I found an associate to cut it down for me (free at Lowe’s) to get two boards at were 29” and two that were 19.5” since I needed to account for the board thickness. The other nice thing is that these boards cost in the neighborhood of $10. I also purchased some angle brackets, woods stain, polyurethane, and some sand paper. After all was said and done, it came in around $25.

Once I got home I sanded down the boards and applied the stain with a brush I already had. After two coats it was the color that I wanted. I gave the stain the required amount of time to sent and then I added four coats of poly, making sure to sand each one (but the last) with 200 grit sand paper. Doing this allows the layers of poly to bond properly with each other. I’ve had poly peal off by not doing this before.¬† I then screwed in the angle brackets to the outside and inside walls of the wood to make a sturdy box. I also used liquid nails to help hold them together. More coming in my next Keezer update.